Sunday, 4 August 2013

Sharing Storytelling Sunday

Time for me to get back on the blogging saddle. I have missed you all. It's Storytelling Sunday so no better time than this to hop on board.

Several things have occupied me since my last post. Family health issues; the ongoing internet saga; trips to Cornwall and Kent, to name but a few. For instance, had I been on line, recording my Simply a Moment on the 15 July would definitely have been of sitting in a consultant's office receiving the brilliant news that my youngest daughter did not have a tumour on her spine. She does still have considerable health problems, but we are all so very grateful that the spinal problem is not quite so serious.

When my eldest daughter asked if I would like to join her and the family for a week's holiday in Cornwall, I leapt at the chance. She and my son-in-law rented a farmhouse owned by an artist. The artist lived nearby in another property and she also had a huge barn where she held painting workshops. It was an idyllic location for relaxation and afforded me time to reflect on the past six months and the opportunity to look forward to finding time for a more creative future.



The white single storey building was my bedroom and it amused me that I am now an annexe girl both at home and away...

You could be forgiven for wondering what all this has to do with Storytelling Sunday. While in Cornwall, we visited the Eden Project. It wasn't our first time there but it was the first time I had seen it in all its summer splendour. Our previous visits had been during springtime.

While we were walking around, I spotted this notice board







and this rather magnificent storyteller's chair. My 6 year old granddaughter loves to make-up stories and was happy to test out the chair's magical properties. She came up with the following story. This month's Storytelling Sunday belongs to her. The Story is called The Amazing Pebble.

Once there was a girl called Strawberry. She was a pretty girl and when she put on her shoes they were too tight. So her mum took her to the shoe shop and bought her some shiny shoes. When she put on her new shoes there was a big POP! Out came a pebble. It was dazzling. She picked up the pebble and held it in her hands and there was a flash of light... And she turned straight into a dog and within a minute she had some puppies. One was parachuting and the other three were running around like maniacs. The puppies said hello and good bye and wagged their tails. Someone bought them. They lived happily ever after. And as for the pebble it vanished and was never seen again.

And that's my precious for Storytelling Sunday. It warms my heart how much my granddaughter loves reading and storytelling. If you would like to read more stories or, even better, join in, head over to Sian's blog at From High in the Sky. I promise you won't be disappointed.

I will be back later in the week with some of my 2013 Scavenger Hunt finds but in the meantime, happy storytelling.

19 comments:

Karen said...

What magnificent news regarding your daughter's health and what a splendid story from your granddaughter.

Missus Wookie said...

Wonderful story, chair and news about your daughter. The Eden Project was wonderful when we went - I'd love to go again.

Sian said...

Hi Irene, it's so good to see you back! It sounds as if you have been having quite a time of it and I'm glad you had the chance for some relaxation in such a lovely place. Bravo to the storyteller and her magnificent chair. A wonderful contribution to the collection today

Eleanor said...

Oh such a delightful story, and only 6! Long may she continue to exercise that creative mind.
Glad you your news was better than you feared.
x

alexa said...

So pleased to hear the good news about your daughter :), and glad you and your grand-daugther have been having such a lovely time together. And I am thinking that the splendid outdoor chair could just sneak in as a bench for your Scavenger Hunt?

JO SOWERBY said...

Such a brilliant story, I am laughing with joy at the parachuting puppies,
Jo xxx

Sheena said...

Great to hear the good news for your daughter.
Your grand daughter has a wonderful story telling style to be cherished for years to come.
Many thanks for sharing x

Becky said...

So pleased that to hear that your daughter does not have a tumour. Love the photo of your granddaughter and her story is wonderful :)

Melissa said...

So nice to see you in blogland Irene! Sounds like a lovely vacation and that is an absolutely precious story your granddaughter told!!

Miriam said...

What a truly wonderful post Irene. So much to be thankful for. Your granddaughters story is just amazing, what a gift she has.

S said...

What a great post - although I am going to credit your granddaughter rather than the chair for such a magical story. Do tell her we enjoyed it! PS It looks like a lovely place for a holiday vacation.

Jo said...

The pebble story is fantastic and that chair is gorgeous x

Louise said...

ahh Irene a lovely story and I like how you included your grandaughter x

Cheri said...

What a sweet and crazy yarn your granddaughter wove! That chair must be absolutely magical!

tidbitsandtreasures2011 said...

It appears your granddaughter has some serious storytelling potential. She has a terrific imagination and an amazing vocabulary (dazzling??)!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Welcome back! What a precious story indeed. Can't wait to see what you've found for the Scavenger Hunt.
Rinda

Barbara Eads said...

Now that's what I call "precious!" Having your granddaughter fill in with such a sweet story was the perfect thing to do. I love the cottage photo---it reminds me of our trip through the Cotswold's a couple of years ago. I want to come back and find that sign and chair! I'm sure it does have magical storytelling properties!

Alison said...

Huge apologies to be arriving so late, Irene! It's great to see you back in Blogland, and I share your joy in the news about your daughter...and that story from your granddaughter is just to cute!!
Alison xx

Chipper Newman said...

Your grand-daughters story is a fabulous precious and very imaginative.