Sunday, 5 February 2012

Table for Two?

Early in 1997, my younger daughter and I travelled around the UK looking at Universities that she might consider for the next year. On our way home, we were passing near to Salisbury and as she had never visited Stonehenge, she asked if we might make a detour. I remember it was a cold, frosty day and somehow because of this, the stones stood sharply to attention against the eerily bleak landscape. There were not too many tourists by the time we arrived, so we were able to take in their magnificence without too much distraction.



As it was getting late and the roads were becoming icy, we decided to stay overnight in Salisbury and managed to find a room near to the Cathedral, quite a bonus. When we checked into the hotel, we were asked if we wanted to dine in the hotel as they were rather busy that evening. We had a table booked for 7:30 pm and having an hour or so to spare, decided to look around the Cathedral. By chance, it was Evensong and the cloisters rang out to the sound of the choir's uplifting voices as we approached. We were spell-bound.


Back at the hotel, we went down for dinner and as we approached the dining room we saw that the lights were dimmed, everything looked very pink, and there was soft music playing. About twenty sets of eyes swivelled round to stare at us in the candlelight. The room was full of lovey, dovey couples. As we had been travelling around, we had completely lost track of the date: it was Valentine's Day! We made a hasty retreat and, convulsed with laughter, had room service bring up our supper. Remembering how we were very nearly the 'Odd Couple' still brings a smile to our faces.


This story has been brought to you via Sian's Storytelling Sunday. If you love a good story, may I suggest you head on over here for some jolly good reads.


Thanks for stopping by!

20 comments:

Miriam said...

Ha Ha love this! the odd couple indeed.

alexa said...

Ah, that must have made you giggle companionably together - a lovely mother and daughter memory! :)

Chipper said...

That is something I would have done! I never seem to notice Valentines Day. That's a great story for future generations :-)

Peachy Stream said...

great story! would love to visit stonehenge! i quite often travel around with my mum and we get odd looks if we say we dont mind a double room. I'm always hasty to point out she is my Mum!

K said...

Sounds like a gorgeous day :-)

Deb @ Paper Turtle said...

What a lovely tale about your travels with your daughter. I really enjoyed reading this story! :o)

Melissa said...

It sounds like an absolutely wonderful Valentine's Day and a perfect ending filled with laughter!

Sian said...

lol! What a lovely Valentines Day story. And so nicely told - it completely caught me unawares, I honestly didn'y see that punchline coming. I love it.

I'll see if I can change your title through my linky dashboard, but don't worry, it's fine as it is :) Thanks for a story with a smile (and some stones)

Scrappi Sandi said...

How funny! Like Sian, I didn't see wher that was leading!! :)

scrappyjacky said...

What a lovely story.....it definately brought a smile to my face.

Louise said...

your story made me smile. A story that you'll always remember.

Mel said...

i have never been to stonehenge either - I am having a dinner date with my sister next Tuesday so we may look like the odd couple!

Alison said...

Great story...I can just imagine the laughter it caused between you!
Alison xx

Angelfish said...

What a lovely memory of time spent with your daughter. Whenever I see Stonehenge I always think of Tess of the D'urbevilles.

Amy said...

Oh excelelnt! What a funny way to end the day!

Ifa said...

LOL, at least you realised before you were all sat down. Happy memories.

Linda said...

Great story! Salisbury is a such a lovely tonw isn't it?

Scattychick said...

What a great story :)

Carrie Rosalind said...

Haha that is hilarious! I traveled with my step-dad to Las Vegas in December while my mom stayed behind, and someone that was trying to sell something came up to us and asked if we were married! Very awkward and very funny at the same time! ;)

Missus Wookie said...

Great story and memory :) We rarely notice dates whilst traveling either.