Wednesday, 30 November 2011

Colour Magic!

Can you believe it? It is already the third week of my Surface Pattern Design course. How can that be! I have been searching for inspiration, sketching motifs, learning how to place patterns in Photoshop and Illustrator, and am now turning my attention to colour. 

Colour is everywhere you look. In our homes, outside our window panes, the clothes we wear, the food we eat, even our skin. All contain colour. How very fortunate we are to be surrounded by it and yet, sometimes we can take it for granted.  The course is making me look at it properly; to focus more on how it affects my life. Certain colours can be uplifting, while some can make me reflective.

Georgia O'Keefe wrote : I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way... things I had no words for.

I have noticed that on the days I wear something brighter than black, I feel more uplifted. When I paint, the colours make me happy. Colour brings me so much joy and I must appreciate it more.


Today, I have been putting the finishing touches to the grandchildren's Advent calendar. It is always a fun time collecting small items for each day. This year's calendar has lots of drawers and I know they will love opening them each day. There are lots of Christmas books in the shops for very young children and I have purchased a few. Several of the drawer tags will ask them to dip into a book box I have made up for them. They both love books and being read to. Such a pleasure.


My grandson was here earlier and as it was a rainy day, he played a lot with his train set. Cars were parked up on the flyover, engines broke down, people stood on the car wash roof, an aeroplane landed on a bridge, it was mahem! 




While he was playing, I couldn't help but observe how colourful his train table and toys are. The table is in my hall and I pass it every day but have I really looked at it properly? There is an abundance of primary colours. I must make up a colour swatch immediately for my course!


Tomorrow is December 1st. I can hardly wait!

No comments: